Sunday 4 May 2014

What kind of man would I be if I did not dream, if did not desire....



The heat flows perceptibly along the dunes of the Sahara desert. There is only but a breeze in the air and the shadows seem to melt away just before they touch the ground.... Over a thousand runners are marching on across the scorching dunes. This is Morocco, and the 29th edition of the toughest endurance competition of ultra-marathon type, Marathon des Sables, has begun. Nearly 250 km (155 miles) must be completed in six stages, including one of over 80 km (50 miles) and another the length of a standard marathon, all of this in only 6 days. No one will give you anything, only water and the most stringent medical care. Everything else you must carry in your backpack: food, sleeping bag, clothes, survival kit. Four Romanians are taking part in this year's contest: Paul Dicu, Aristide Necula, Cristian Enasoae, and Gabriel Laczko, the latter living in Switzerland and representing that country. I am following the progress of our compatriots with enthusiasm, pride and admiration, but also with a shade of sadness. The sadness of having signed up for this year’s competition but, unable to raise the funds needed to participate, being forced to walk away. Yet, I have not given up on the idea and maybe next year I will find the financial resources needed to take part.

But still, I can sense the thrill of excitement that accompanies each mile completed by Paul, Aristide, Cristian and Gabi, as if I was there, running along them. I was sad to see Paul limping to the finish line after the third and longest stage, I was anxiously awaiting Cristian’s arrival in the same stage, as he seemed to have vanished after the penultimate checkpoint, and I enjoyed Aristide's good run. With Gabi, well there’s another story: I look at him as if he was a good friend gone away, although we have never met. Instead, we spoke a lot on social networks about many things regarding this ultra-marathon. They are all near the finish line, just a few steps away from victory. One by one they cross finish line: Aristide, then Paul and Cristian. With only 5 km to go, Gabi is forced to abandon due to medical problems and fails to complete 29th edition of the competition.

It is not easy to run for so long, it is not easy to fight the sand, the heat, the lack of water and limited resources, the restricted autonomy set by organizers. Above all, it is not easy to fight yourself and your demons. Fight the darkness, the silence and the solitude. It’s only you and your own thoughts, the desire to quit, and the desire to go on. And yet this competition, that could even kill as it has done so in the past, exerts an almost tangible attraction on me. It has become my Everest, my supreme race that I must run at least once in this lifetime. I hope that it will be next year, but sponsors are hard to come by. People have limited resources and a world of worries rests on their shoulders. Convincing them to offer the support I need is an uphill struggle. Yet, I will succeed. And I will dedicate my taking part in this challenge not only to my sponsors, but also to the cause of Save the Children Organization in Romania. And especially for this cause I will follow the example of Paul Dicu and set in motion as many people as I can. But this will be a challenge in itself, for the country's northeast is yet underrepresented in international sports competitions.

I am overjoyed when I see Romanians take part in international competitions, even if they don’t always make it on the podium. My country's flag is what they are squeezing in their hands at the finish line, and for their effort, courage, determination and strength, I bow before them and I thank them every time.

I am also a runner. An average one, with a few trail marathons, and a lot of training and determination. I hope to become an ultra-marathon runner. That is not easy, it will never be. But that is my dream.

What kind of man would I be if I did not dream, if I did not desire... that the Saharian sands caress my feet, that I become friends with the pain, that I burn and am reborn out of doubt and faith, and hope to have enough words and resolve to tell you all about what is out there, on the ground, to keep you breathless, and make you enjoy every step that I take, and every step that you take together with me...

What kind of man would I be if I did not dream, if I did not desire... to be one of those happiest runners reaching the finish line of one of the toughest competitions in the world: Marathon des Sables.

For now, I am just a name on a social network. Add this name to your list of good deeds and help me transform a dream into reality. I will repay it many times over by helping those children who are in need (Save the Children Romania).


Cont LEI: RO13 BACX 0000 0004 4508 4001, deschis la UniCredit Tiriac Bank, sucursala Suceava, Romania

Cont EURO: RO40 BACX 0000 0004 4508 4000, deschis la UniCredit Tiriac Bank, sucursala Suceava, Romania

THANK YOU!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment